Relevancy of Ads shown in Adsense optimised blogs
This post is in response to a recent query we received from one of our readers.
The question is :- how do I make sure that google advertisements displayed in my blog are relevant in respect to the topics I post ???
Well the google adsense program is designed to deliver the most relevant advertisements to the topics on the blog post. The advertisements are usually generated on the fly (means are actually auctioned while a page is being requested ) and the highest bidders ads are shown. Inorder to render relevant advertisements google periodically crawls all the webpages which use the google adsense script and determine the keywords that best describe the page. Remember the google media bot is different from the google search bot which crawls the pages inorder to rank them in SERP’s.
Below are certain tips to make sure you get the most relevant ads on your blog.
- The best method of all is to identify your content niche and generate posts only relevant to your topic. Never deviate from your topic this helps the search engines to associate your site with your keywords easily and generally sites with focused content perform better with CPC / CPM ads.
- The frequency with which google crawls your site is also another factor. The more frequently your site is crawled the more relevant ads are displayed especially on newer posts. In order to increase the frequency get as many links from other credible sites as possible and also increase the frequency of publishing.
- Remember that the google media bot uses the page title, Headings, text on body especially the first few lines etc to determine the pages content relevancy so including your keywords in those locations will definitely improve the ads relevancy.
- Keywords in Bold and italics is one thing you could try, but make sure you are not compromising the aesthetics and readability of your posts, stuffing your posts with keywords is a sure shot way to loose visitors and thus revenue.
- Always give an appropriate title to the blog post which appeals both to your audience and also to the search engines.
- Use relevant keywords to tag your posts. You could use the follwing tools to find out the search volumes of specific keywords, advertiser competition and also estimated cost per click. Choose wisely.
The overture keyword suggestion tool by YPN ( Yahoo Publisher Network)
The Google Adwords Keyword suggestion tool.
Implement Google Section Targeting Code in your blog posts.
As I mentioned earlier the google media bot uses the title, headings, the body and all other content on your blog post to determine the best keywords. But this could be tricky for eg imagine your blog is about Kerala a state in
So here the culprit is the comment, other page elements like the navigation, your online profile, usercomments, Rss feeds, previous posts etc could also dilute the relevancy of your ads.
So implementing the google section targeting code will direct the google bot to only the relevant secion of your site that is the main body content and help it determine the most relevant keywords.
Implementation is simple just add the following lines of code before your post.
you could do this by clicking edit post and then selecting edit html. Insert the above line of code on top.
And then insert the code given below at the end of the post.
you could use the same code multiple times on any page inorder to tell google which part of your content is relevant and whats not.
Section Targeting in Blogger Templates.:- Example
(Only try this at your own risk)
Some Points to note while implementing Google Section Targeting Code
- Its not advisable to cheat the google media bot by purposely targeting the wrong content. Google is smart enough to tell the difference.
- Always include the title of your post in your tags
- Only include ’significant content’ in the tags or you’ll end up with irrelevant ads or PSAs.
- Make sure you have properly closed all the tags that you have used.
Dollar Dreams… lol..